Welcome to our Coaching/Training Courses
We provide a variety of courses for our members, covering a range of ages and abilities. Our coaches are all British Canoe Union (BCU) qualified and where appropriate will have current DBS disclosure certificates.
We are enthusiastic about sharing our sport with you, and hope you find your chosen course friendly, welcoming and enjoyable; as well as learning new skills.
We aim to run a number of Taster Sessions during the season to enable people to get a taste of canoeing and find out more about the club. They are ideal for beginners or for those wanting to make a return to the sport. So if you are interested in joining the Canoe Club but want to know what it is like before joining, or simply want a one off go in a kayak or a canoe then this is for you.
All equipment is supplied apart from your own personal clothing.
These sessions are popular and numbers are restricted so to ensure your place(s) please do book as soon as you can.
- Our Taster Sessions provide a gentle and enjoyable introduction to paddling.
- You will spend about an hour on the water learning the basic paddling strokes and generally just getting comfortable on the water.
- There will also be an opportunity to find out more about canoeing and about the club.
- There is a small charge of £10 per person which is refunded if you take out membership.
- Our waterside clubhouse has male and female changing rooms, with a clubroom for tea/coffee, and snack facilities.
- There is free parking.
- Children from 8 years old are able to join us on the water but we do ask parents to stay on site during the session.. For those under 8, and non-paddlers, the lake can be viewed from the lakeside footpaths and from the Clubhouse.
- Children under 8 are welcome to join the club provided they are on the water in the care of competent paddling parents.
Courses – PaddlePower Club/Adult Beginners/ Adult Improvers
Other than the Taster Sessions to take part on any of our courses you need to be a member of Milton Keynes Canoe Club. Details on each of our courses can be found by following the links below.
- Qualified coaches within the club organise a series of courses in line with the BCU coaching scheme.
- Children taking part on courses must be over 8 years of age.
- Our Paddlepower courses are most suited to Junior paddlers under 14.
- All course times are 6:30 to 8:00pm and take place at the club waterfront – unless stated otherwise.
- Equipment – boats, paddles, buoyancy aids & helmets (where required) are provided as part of the course.
- Just bring a change of clothes and spare shoes! (we have changing rooms).
If you have any queries about our coaching programme please contact the Course Administrator.